EMF and My Home

EMF and My Home

  • Post author:
  • Post category:General

So, something I have been thinking about for a while, that many people are not talking about is Electromagnetic frequencies or EMF. I am not going to get too deep into the science here, as there are experts in the field that I am just learning from. In brief, the earth has a natural or native EMF the averages 7.83 hertz, also known as the Schumann resonance, our bodies have an average resonance of 10 hertz. In today’s modern society, we are bombarded with non-native EMF’s everywhere. Powerlines, electronic devices and the signals we are sending and receiving.

So why are EMF’s on my radar? These signals/ frequencies disrupt our bodies natural rhythm and puts a low level of stress on us, on our cells.

Studies have shown that exposure to EMF’s from mobile phone base stations increased cortisol levels, higher levels of blood histamine and elevated S100B (a marker of leakage of the blood brain barrier). 

It is still early days in the research in this field, but it is estimated that up to 3% of the population has sever sensitivity to Electro hypersensitivity and possible up to 35% of the population may have mild symptoms. I do know of one person in my community that is very sensitive and had to move out of the city to the country to relieve her symptoms.

These symptoms can include:

Fatigue, sleep disturbance, headaches, feeling of discomfort, difficulty concentrating, depression, memory loss, visual disruptions, irritability, hearing disruptions, skin problems, cardiovascular problems, dizziness, loss of appetite, movement difficulties, and nausea. 

EMFs are measured in milliGauss (mG). The Environmental Protection Agency recommends that you limit your exposure to 0.5 mG to 2.5 mG. For example, when you are three feet away from a microwave, you are exposed to up to 25 mG or 10 times the recommendation.

After a friend of mine did a ton of research on various testing devices, bought a meter and tested his home. I decided that I needed to buy my own meter and test my family’s environment.

My device tests Radio Frequency (RF), Low Frequency Magnetic (LFM) and Low Frequency Electric (LFE) fields.

The units of measurement are mW /m2 = Milliwatts per square meter, mG = Milligauss and V/m = Volts per meter respectively.

Note, my meter is a quality in-home device to indicate problem areas for remediation, but not a highly sensitive professional testing meter.

The areas in and around my house I chose to test included:

Backyard without a phone, Backyard with a phone on me, Home office, Kitchen normal, Kitchen with Microwave on, Living Room with Microwave on, My Bedroom, Near my head & near my wife’s head, Kids rooms, Near my kids heads, Inside my sauna with it off, Inside with the sauna on, Main floor Digital Thermostat, Lower level Digital Thermostat and the PVR/ TV Receiver.

There are two clients I have where I regularly use one of their offices and computer set-up, so I tested:

Office, Beside the wireless mouse and receiver and Office with microwave running, on other side of wall.

Every area I listed above was within normal range for intensity apart from the following.

The home office besides the computer and other electronics has the Wi-Fi router. Even at a distance of 3 feet, the RF was off the charts high, 100+. This was the same measurement for right beside the PVR/ TV Receiver which catches that same WIFI signal.

Our kitchen had normal readings until the microwave was turned on, then it jumped to medium intensity for RF at about 4 feet away and still maintained that level at even 20 feet. The LFM and LFE blipped up to low but detectable levels as well with the microwave on, where they had not registered with it off.

About a foot below where my head rests when I sleep there is an outlet and it gave a medium intensity level for both RF and LFE.

My Clearlight Sauna had no measurement when it was off, but after I turned it on it had a medium intensity for LFM immediately in front of one of the panels and medium LFE right at the control panel. I was worried that this may have been a problem area, so I was glad that my investment in the sauna is not producing much EMF and no RF.

Our main floor thermostat was medium intensity for RF and LFE, while our lower level thermostat was medium for LFM and LFE.

At client offices, the two I tested were both normal in the middle of the room, but right beside the wireless mouse and the receiver it was high for RF.

At one of these offices, on the other side of the wall, about 30 feet away is a kitchen and microwave. When the microwave was on, the RF in that office was high.

So, the next question is, how am I going to mitigate the few problem areas?

We all keep hearing about “smart homes”, but I want to “dumb” my house down. Meaning I eventually want to install ethernet cable in all the main rooms so that we can hard wire devices and not have to use Wi-Fi. That will come at some expense, but I think it will be worth it for my family’s health. For now, I am trying to limit my time near our router, and we moved the PVR receiver so it is not near the wall near our bedroom or near where anyone sits.

We had already begun to phase out the use of the microwave for re-heating food by using a small convection oven and we are now utilizing the stove top more for re-heating.

I have adopted a wired mouse for use at home, and am trying to get ones at the client offices I occasionally use.

We were able to move our bed such that I am further away from the outlet without effecting my wife’s side of the bed.

Something I have already done for years, which I will continue to do, is ensure devices are off or in airplane mode when not in use. This includes my cellphone. If I am not expecting a call or am in a situation where I couldn’t take a call anyway, I just turn it off.

If you are interested in some of the other mitigation techniques I personally use or would recommend or want to learn more about EMF’s, the meter I bought or even having your home tested, reach out to me and I would be happy to discuss.